29 Jun 2013

湯畑

I have been wanting to go to 湯畑 for quite the longest time, having seen a picture of a steaming 湯畑 in a magazine many many years ago.  However, it never managed to be part of my itinerary, as the 関東 region (minus the 日光 area) never featured high on my want-to-see list.
 
Over a weekend in 東京, as I wondered how I could kill my time without being bored stiff by mere shopping, I discovered that 湯畑 from 東京 was so much more accessible compared to from千葉, where I stayed.  Certainly it helps that at least an hour's travelling time has been shaved off my trip when I depart from 品川 instead of from 八幡宿 (not forgetting the 20min bus ride to the station).

Still, it took some research to nail down the best way to reach 湯畑.  Finding the webpage of the bus company from 長野原草津口 to 湯畑 took a bit of nifty internet research.  Voila! Once the bus timetable was located, it was a matter of working backwards to fit the right train timings and reserve my 指定席 onboard the Maxたにがわ号.
 
I wonder if it was because of the season, because while 湯畑 was still gushing 温泉, nowhere was the steamy scene I had from my memory.  Also, the volume of water didn't seem to be as significant as that I watched on a travel programme before.  Perhaps the really hot summer day had reduced the temperature difference between the 温泉and the atmosphere.  Hence the absence of huge amounts of steam.

Nevertheless, as I circled 湯畑, I could still feel the heat from the 温泉, and hear the excited chatter of the Japanese tourists around me. 湯畑 is still a grand sight, in summer or winter. 

No comments:

Post a Comment