17 Apr 2015

Delish pies [スイーツ]


I'm not really a pie person, preferring to spend my moolah on food that is more substantial.
How does one classify pies as mains or deserts or fun-to-eat to fill that gap between main meals?

These pies were featured on a TV program, which to me would mean hyped-up loooong queues that are to be avoided until the hype dies down half a year later.

Instead, I was quite seduced by the sweet pies from this shop, being refreshing different from the too-much-fruit-ladened Japanese style pies.

So I sussed out the opening hours of the shop and planted myself opposite waiting for it to open.

Plus point of arriving early is the lack of queues, or rather the bodies that would form the queue another half-an-hour later were still in slumberland :)

Minus point of arriving early: not all the pies were ready :(

Bought a morello cherry and grasshopper to go.

The shop was generous with the morello cherries, and I liked that the natural tartness of the cherries very nicely balanced the sticky-sugary shortcrust crowning the cherries.  I could eat more of this pie!

The grasshopper is chocolate cake beneath and mint cream above with a sprinkling of chocolate Crumbs topping the mint cream.  It was delish enough, given that the mint ice-cream I used to eat a long time ago is no longer available.  But it didn't beat the morello cherry pie.

There are other pie flavours, strawberry lemon and coconut lime vodka which also look interesting, but were not ready when I was at the shop.  I might want to try those, and of course, the morello cherry again.

No comments:

Post a Comment